If you’re a welder specializing in auto works, getting the best welder for auto bodywork would be the best course of action. Although MIG welders are known to do an excellent job of getting polished welding for auto parts, some Tig welders can also offer a sophisticated performance.
As the price of automobiles is multiplying these recent years, the need for repairing and refurbishing old vehicles is increasing steadily.
That’s why, to meet this growing challenge, understanding quality welders and effective welding techniques is a must.
Best Lightweight – VIVOHOME MIG Welder
Coming at a weight of 34 pounds this is the lightest welder in the list. A compact cuboid design with a large handle, makes it a perfect portable welder.
Best Performance – SUPER DEAL PRO Commercial MIG Welding Machine
Delivering a top rated performance along with speed control adjustments and durable build, this device should offer the best performance in the list!
Best Consistency and Welding Outcome – Hobart Handler
Offering consistent bead forming and smooth finish, this one should be obtained for an industrial grade final touch.
Best Versatile- Weldpro Multi Process Welder
If you’re looking for versatility to perform various sorts of welding operations then this one by Weldpro is what you should go for. With MIG, TIG and ARC Stick welding, all your welding needs should be fulfilled with this one.
Best Study- PRIMEWELD TIG225X
Offering out of the world durability and toughened construction with steel material and hardened knobs makes it the strongest in the list.
Best Welder for Auto Body Work
Finding out the best welder from the extensive collection of welding equipment isn’t an easy job to perform. That’s why in our guide, we’d compile a list of some of the best welders you can go for right now! Let’s find them out right now!
MILLER ELECTRIC MIG Welder
- Price For: Each Series: Millermatic 211 Aluminum - Material Thickness: 18 ga. to 3/8" Mild Steel - Material Thickness: 24 ga. to 3/8" Stainless Steel - Material Thickness: 20 ga. to 1/4" Hz: 60 Input Amps: 17
- Millermatic 211 MIG Welder with Advanced Auto-Set - 907614
- Includes: 10 ft. M-10 MIG Gun, 10 ft. Work Cable with Clamp, Built-In Gas Solenoid Valve, Dual Gauge Regulator with Gas Hose, Sample Spool of 0.030 in. Solid Wire, (2) 0.030 in. Contact Tips, (2) Hook-and-Loop Cord Wraps, Material Thickness Gauge Overall Width: 20-1/2 inch Standards: CSA Certified Overall Height: 12-1/2 inch
- Features: Advanced Auto-SetTM, Auto Spoolgun Detect, Smooth-StartTM, Angled Cast-Aluminum Drive System, Quick SelectTM Drive Roll, Thermal Overload Protection, Fan-on-Demand Phase: 1 Input Voltage: 240VAC Welded Material: Aluminum, Steel Output Range: 30 to 230A DC Welding Processes: MIG/Flux Core Portability: Handheld Portable Application: Maintenance, Repair, Auto/Cycle Shops, Farm and Ranch Jobs, Hobby Welding
First on the list is the Miller Mig welder. Coming with tons of offerings, this versatile Mig welder can be your weapon of choice. Let’s look at this item in detail.
Similar to the SUPER DEAL PRO Commercial Welding Machine, one of its’ key benefits is, its portability. Coming with a thickened-up handle, this can be a quality MIG welder that you can transport from one place to another without much difficulty.
The device also comes with a chart that aids the users during their chores with critical information. This makes it much more convenient while welding.
Material is just another aspect that matters highly in terms of deciding which item to go for. One good thing about this particular Mig welder is it’s built using stainless steel materials.
Highly used in the making of heavy-duty devices, stainless steel would offer sufficient strength to match the intense working pattern of auto body welding. On top of that, its corrosion resistance capabilities should give the device a long-lasting user experience.
Despite the extra-rugged construction of the device, it’s super-lightweight. Being unbelievably lightweight, this welder should ease up the job of working on the auto body parts while offering out-of-the-world convenience!
One of the issues that you may notice with this incredible device is the lead length. Being 10 ft long, it may seem a bit difficult to work with it.
But keeping aside the issues in hand, this should be a consideration if getting the best starter welder is your goal.
- It comes with a helpful chart that aids the users during work
- Highly durable stainless steel material offers the long-lasting potentiality
- Thickened up handle and compact design makes it a quality portable device
- Unbelievably lightweight construction improves convenience
- Lead length can seem a bit short for large scale work
- 225AMPS TIG/STICK WELDER WITH PULSE FUNCTION WORKS GREAT WITH ALUMINUM, STAINLESS STEEL AND THINNER METALS
- CK Worldwide 17 Series Superflex TIG Torch with Flex Head AND CK SUPERFLEX HOSE, ALSO INCLUDES CK DINSE CONNECTOR USA MADE
- 200HRTZ on PULSE FREQ AND AC FREQ will do 1/4" aluminum and 3/8" mild steel and 110/220 volts and is capable of welding 7018, 6013
- Both HF start hand torch control and precise foot pedal welding heat control
- Advanced Inverter Technology with PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) Using IGBT technology
In the 2nd part of our long and detailed guide, we have the Primeweld Tig welding device. This one, too, can offer the desired welding if done correctly.
One thing you should remember is, Tig (tungsten inert gas) welders aren’t usually prescribed for auto welding. But if you’re a highly experienced fellow who knows how to work with Tig, this one should also offer a desirable finish top to bottom.
A good thing about this device is, it’s specially designed to give you a decent welding experience whether you’re a professional or a newcomer, as it comes with a range of different, user-specified usabilities.
On top of that, the power width modulation and the IGBT technology offer extraordinary performance with their combined effort.
Cleaning control for AC and the Pulse feature available in this exceptional welder gives the users tremendous versatility to work with.
Furthermore, the CK Superflex torch installed in the device offers the utmost flexibility for working around the auto body without any restricting sensations.
Finally, it also comes with metal foot pedal control for extended convenience.
One of the issues that may make it difficult for the users is, it comes with a limited stick welder option, which is a drawback. Further, unlike the VIVOHOME MIG Welder, it’s a bit heavy at 90 pounds which can make transportation difficult.
Yet, keeping the minor flaws aside, this incredible Tig welder should be a unique item for auto body welding processes, on the whole!
- Has unique settings that let both the experienced and the novice welder a decent working experience
- Power width modulation and IGBT support makes it perform better
- Pulse feature along with cleaning control for AC offers tremendous versatility
- Superflex torch provides immense flexibility to work around the vehicle
- May limit the stick welding potentialities to a certain extent
Weldpro 200 Amp Inverter Multi Process Welder
- Weldpro's flagship 200 amp MIG welder that goes beyond MIG and Flux Core welding! AND 3 YEAR WARRANTY!
- The model 200 is also capable of true lift TIG welding (without foot pedal) as well as stick welding and aluminum welding with the optional spool gun. The MIG 200 is an intuitive synergically designed MIG / Flux Core welding machine.
- MIG,Stick or TIG weld all from a single compact, space-saving unit. Welding Amperage Ranges230V: MIG: 40-200A; MMA: 40-200A; TIG: 15-200A115V: MIG:40-120A; MMA:40-120A; TIG: 15-120A; 30% at 200 Amp rated duty cycle.
- MIG welding wire diameter: .023 .030 .035, welding thickness: 19ga- 0.197 in; TIG tungsten needle diameter: 0.063 0.094, welding thickness: 25ga- 1/4 in; MMA electrode Dia: 0.063-0.157 acid electrode, alkaline electrode, welding thickness: 14ga-0.315in
- Dual digital display easy to read and set amperage and wire speed for repeatable welds every time. VRD high temp and overload protection with indication. User adjustable inductance settings.
We have the Weldpro 200 amp welder for auto body repair at the third spot in the list. Time to find out the inner secrets of this beautiful item!
If you’re an overall welder who can use all the types of welding techniques to his advantage or a novice trying to learn the various welding arts, then here is something you can go for hands down!
Well, this overall welder comes with all the weldings technologies in one go. Yes, you can use it for Mig, Tig, and Arc Stick welding without any issues.
Learning new skills has never been easier; because of the preset parameters, this synergic-based device is one the best learning equipment you can go for any day!
As a result, similar to the PRIMEWELD TIG225X, this one too can be used by both beginners and experienced users.
On top of that, this one comes with a multi-display setup which offers a stunning reading of the amperage and wire-speed for a constant information feed during the work.
The safety features in this device are incredible! With intense safety parameters like VRD high-temperature indication and overload protection signal mechanism, this should be able to prevent any potential electrical disasters, enhancing the user security to a certain degree and reduces the possibility of welding damage electronics.
A minimal wire speed adjustment is one of the downsides you should consider.
But, all in all, this should indeed be a reliable piece of equipment if you’re looking for the best Mig welder.
- Three-way welding techniques offer splendid versatility
- It can be used for both learning purposes and by experienced users
- The multi-display setup offers real-time feeds for added convenience
- It comes with effective safety mechanisms like VRD temperature and overload protection indications
- A limited wire speed setting can prove to be slightly restricting for the welders
Hobart Handler – 500553 MVP MIG Welder- Best Welder for aAutomotive Work
- Your purchase includes One Hobart – 500553 Handler 210 MVP MIG Welder, One 10 ft. (3m) H100S4-10 gun, One 10 ft. (3m) work cable with clamp, Built-in gas solenoid value and dual-gauge regulator with gas hose
- Welder Dimensions: 10.62” W x 19.5” L x 12.37” H | Welder weight: 79 lbs. | Input Voltage: 110/115/120 V – 220/230/240 V | Material Thickness: 1/4” – 3/8”
- Sized for you to easily transport the unit to the jobsite with the power to weld 3/8 in. mild steel
- Keeps wire electrically “cold” until trigger is pulled which gives you ease of use and keeps you safe
- Allows you to fine control the output parameters for improved arc performance with less spatter for a better bead appearance and less clean up.
Here is a tremendously, highly well-received piece of the tool by renowned welder manufacturers; you can go ahead without much worry. Yes, this one by Hobart comes with unparalleled appreciation from the welder community, which would make you want to know what’s inside! Well, let’s find out the secrets then!
This exceptionally designed Mig welder has stunning portability capabilities like the MILLER ELECTRIC MIG Welder we mentioned earlier. The movement tool comes with a wheel that can be dragged to the workplace with ease. Despite the heavyweight, this tool can make things a lot easier.
While doing auto body parts, getting a smooth and consistent bead is one of the top priorities for professionals. Well, in this case, Hobart performs stunningly. Specially designed, stable arc provides a steady bead for an exceptional finish.
On top of that, the professional-grade drive system present in the system offers a smooth feeding of wire. It reduces the extra tension and prevents the issue of deformation of the wire.
Another exciting feature present in the system is the cold wire technology. It has a mechanism to keep the wire cold electrically as long as the trigger isn’t pulled. This makes the welder a lot safer to work with.
One of the issues that you may find a bit problematic is the wind. While working out on the vehicle, wind can seem a pretty common thing, especially in the areas with decent alleviation.
Winds can result in a poor quality of welding projects.
Apart from a situational issue like this, if you’re looking for quality welders for auto body, this one can be used for sophisticated welding tasks at any given day.
- Wheeled carried offers excellent portability
- Stable arc provides consistent bead for a refined finish for auto
- Professional grade drive system aids smooth feeding and prevents deformation
- Welding Wire kept electrically cold for better safety
- Poor welding performance in the windy areas
VIVOHOME MIG Welder Automatic Feed Welding Machine
- NO REACTION WELDER - With convenient flux-cored wire to self-release metal inert gas while welding, this welding machine prevents oxidation of the welded part; A great choice for home repairs and hobby projects on light gauge steel
- WELDING PROCESS - This welding machine is particularly well-suited for projects of mild steel and stainless steel; It delivers a professional finish for any thin steel welding or auto body work you may need, being powerful and efficient
- ADJUSTABLE WELDING SPEED – The VIVOHOME MIG Welder features 4x current flow settings; Adjust the current and 10-speed variable feed controls for perfectly managed flux-cored welding of thin steel, stainless or aluminum sheet metal, or even thicker steel
- PORTABLE DESIGN - Lightweight and compact design, with a comfortable hand grip that makes it easy to carry wherever you want; It only weighs 34.6 lbs., so you can effortlessly take it as far as you can
- ACCESSORIES INCLUDED – The VIVOHOME MIG Welder package includes all the accessories you need to weld like a pro: 1x 6.6' welding gun with on/off safety control; 1x 4.9' grounding clamp; 1x welding helmet; 1x wire welding brush; 1 x 0.03" (0.8mm) Flux core wire; and several other small accessories
Now at the fifth spot in our list, we have the Vivohome Mig Welder.
This one, too, is an immensely favoured item by the welders and should be given particular importance for its matchless repute. Let’s have a deeper look at this one!
One of the issues that most welders fear is oxidation. Oxidation can reduce the possibility of a good weld forming, resulting in a poor auto body welding finish.
But with this incredible welding device, the possibility of oxidation is kept at bay using the self-releasing metal inert gas welding technology. As a result, you get a stunning, smooth finish without issues.
If you’re ready to get a welding device ideally suited for the auto body, then Vivohome is what you should aim for because it’s built to offer smooth work on the thin, mild steel and stainless steel body, which would make the vehicle welding a piece of cake.
Like the MILLER ELECTRIC MIG Welder, this one is also formulated using a stainless steel material for an exceptional durability impact.
Weighing at around 34.6 pounds, this should be a lightweight welding device to work around the car!
Furthermore, this incredible Mig welding device comes with excellent safety measures like overheat protection. The multiple fanned vents design keeps the heat minimum during operation for a long and safe work time.
On top of everything, the free welding helmet improves the safety parameters to a whole new level!
The instructions coming with this machine are a bit confusing and problematic, which is one of its downsides. But keeping aside the flaws, if you want the best welder machine for the auto body, this should be a consideration.
- Reduces the issue of oxidation for a cleaner finish
- It works on thin, mid, and stainless steel, making it a perfect auto welding machine
- Stainless steel construction adds durability
- Lightweight device can be used conveniently on the car
- Added free helmet and fanned vents improve the safety to a whole new degree
- Limited and confusing instructions may make it difficult for the users
SUPER DEAL PRO Commercial MIG Welding Machine
- ★ SUPER DEAL MIG130 Welder is a top of the line household welder that is lightweight, powerful and intuitive. Made of high-class PVC material as well as delicate treatment, this welding machine integrates comfortable grip, easy operation and high precision.
- ★ Uses convenient Flux - Cored wire, self release metal-inert gas while welding, prevent oxidation of the welded part.
- ★ User-friendly interface - Makes set-up a snap with easy to access advanced options. SUPER DEAL mig130 gives you the power to tackle the biggest jobs with ease and confidence. Ready to weld out of the box.
- ★ Variable Feed Speed Control - Easily adjust current flow by adjusting the 4 buttons for MIN/MAX,1/2. Also features a wire feeding speed adjust rotary knob. 10 levels of wire feeding speeds for your choice. Torch With Full On / Off Safety Control
- ★ Compact and powerful - Weighs only 38 lbs. deal for shop, home or field use. Perfect for welding mild steel and stainless steel. Comes with a reel of 0.9mm, 0.55lbs welding wire, a protection mask and a brush/Chipping Hammer. 2.5M Torch, xtra 2 Tips and Ground Cord. Just what you're looking for, right?
At the concluding part of our long and detailed guide, we have another stunner, this time by Super Deal. This commercial-grade Mig gun welding machines should be an ideal option for car welding.
Let’s find out why!
This should be a quality add-on for welders who are not experts in their field. Because this machine comes with an easy operation mechanism, is understandable to the most, and offers fine precision for a quality finish on the body.
Like the VIVOHOME MIG Welder, this one also comes with an oxidation preventive mechanism, resulting in a smoother finish.
This one comes with tonnes of adjustment options with an array of different speed control settings, making it a highly customizable auto body welders to work with.
The beautifully designed large handle, along with a lightweight construction weighing 38 lbs, makes it an outstandingly portable and highly convenient welding machine to be working on the car outside!
It comes with an easily accessible display setup that can be used even with gloves to ease operation during work.
Finally, the sophisticated metal welding tip on the spool gun helps prevent slag build giving you a clean finish for the vehicle.
You may have slight issues with the solid wire feeding, which is no joke. But keeping in mind the endless benefits it comes equipped with, this should be a must consideration in your list of possible quality welders to go for!
- Easy operation and fine precision for a stunning finish
- Prevents the most feared oxidation issue
- Exceptionally customizable for particular tasks
- The lightweight device makes transportation easier
- Easily accessible display interface
- May have slight issues with wire feeding
LOTOS MIG Wire Welder
- ★ Aluminum Wire Feeder—The durable high quality aluminum wire feeder offers a much more stable and better welding experience.
- ★ More Precisely--Customer can adjust the wire feeder speed and welding voltage more precisely with the 2 digital displayers. new designed ground cable quick connector.★2T/4T—2T(Manual)/4T(Semi-auto) switch is now available; you can release your finger for long time welding job.
- ★Rated Output--140-amp MIG welder; mild/stainless steel: 24 gauge - 3/16"; input voltage: 110/120v; it can be easily connected to your existing 110/120v wall outlet.
- ★Multi Use--Welding stainless steel, mild steel, aluminum (with a spool gun, not include in the package, need to purchase separate) and other metal materials.
- ★ BUY WITH CONFIDENCE: We offer 30 days refund and a 3-YEARS Limited Warranty: include 1 Year NEW Replacement Warranty. ★ US BASED CUSTOMER CARE & SUPPORT TEAM: please feel free to contact us by phone or email, we always stand Back on Our Products. Please submit the registration form on our website.
Our final item on the list is another Mig welder, this time by Lotos. Like the other machines on the list, Lotos has many features that we’ll present you with right now!
Wire feeding is one of the most critical issues for any welder. And much similar to the Hobart – MIG Welder, this one too comes with a sophisticated wire feeding mechanism. The heavy-duty aluminium wire feeder provides an outstandingly pleasing welding experience with the slightest possibility of wire deformation.
With an array of different adjustment capabilities, it offers superior grade customizability for users with specific welding needs.
This one can be a quality auto body welder as it can work with stainless steel, mild steel and welding aluminum!
Sturdiness is another crucial point that Lotos focuses on. As a result, the wire feeder is built using aluminium, while the transformer is also constructed highly durable for reliable performance.
Furthermore, if you’re looking for industrial-grade performance, this is where you should look into it.
One of the possible issues that can occur is related to the wire feeding system. It can happen that the feeding may stick at times, making the welding process a bit difficult. But all in all, this should be an incredible piece to work with at any given time.
- It comes with a quality wire feeding mechanism for hassle-free welding
- Variety of adjustment possibilities offers quality personalization
- Can work with stainless steel, weld mild steel and aluminum
- Highly durable aluminum wire feeder and strengthened transformer construction make
- The wire feeding system may stick sometimes
Types of Welding Machines
There are different sorts of welding machines developed for specific purposes. Let’s find out the various types of welding devices you can find!
This budget-friendly variant is usually used for pipeline welding, steel erection and construction sites.
TIG Welding Machines
It’s another highly sophisticated and complicated welding mechanism that you can go for. Learning this complex process may take some time, but this should offer plenty of versatility once learned.
You can use the best tig welder with brass, steel, copper and aluminium materials for a variety of purposes.
Mig devices are another critical variable that works well, especially with automotive and shipbuilding.
Flux Cored Wire Arc welding is a versatile device you can use both indoors and outdoors and works well with cast iron and carbon steel.
Atomic Hydrogen Welding is another crucial type but is used rarely. Coming with the capability of welding stainless steel and ferrous metals, this is a unique welding machine.
Besides the different types of devices, there are some multipurpose welding machines. We have already talked about some of the multipurpose options. There are numerous blends of other multipurpose options; we found some to offer mig, Tig and arc welding altogether!
Advantages of Welding Machines
Welding machines come with tons of benefits. Let’s look at some of them!
Key Construction Mechanism
From aerospace to automotive and construction sites, wherever you go, you’d find the white sparks are flaring. Yes, welding machines are the modern-day construction king required in almost all sorts of extensive scale engineering, from shipbuilding to airline manufacturing. They can also be used as a basic welder for household repairs, metal fabrication, and auto body repairs.
Makes Learning the Welding Skills Easier
Being one of the most sought after skills for modern-day large-scale manufacturing, welding machines are your first practice tools. Using a welding machine, a non-skilled welder can become proficient in the job and find employment as a result.
If you can name some of the most effective environment development methods, then make sure that welding is on that list. Although it seems like a notable mention, yet its recycling properties are unmatched. From large cargo ships to hundreds of thousand automobiles, welding can repair everything and keep in usable conditions instead of throwing them out in the environment.
Some Tips for Auto Welding
Let’s check out some critical tips for auto welding.
Safety is one of the critical factors while auto welding. We’d ask the users to wear safety gear like gloves, helmets and fire-resistant clothes if necessary. And don’t keep anything on the station which lead to a fire hazard.
Round the Corners
Best welder for chassis fabrication requires rounding up the corners to minimize distortions. As a result heat buildup is minimized.
Distribute Heat Evenly
Don’t forget to put the heat in an even manner. Using too much heat at one place can deform that particular area.
Keep Short Heating Time
Don’t hold over a particular area for too long. Try moving your welding point to minimize the heating duration on a specific spot.
Clean the Panel
When you’re patching up an automotive sheet metal panel for rusting, clean it plainly and get the rust out beforehand. When the paint and rust are cleaned, you can start patching.
Things to Consider Before Buying a Welding Machine
Before you head on to get a welding machine, there are specific objectives you should fulfill. Here we’d present you with some of the key features that should be present in a quality welding machine.
Fix Your Goals
First, the thing that needs to be done is to settle the intentions behind getting a welding machine. In this case, you’re more likely to get a device for auto body welding. So, getting a Mig welder serves the purpose well, as they’re generally known for quality auto welding capabilities.
Determine the Amperage
Getting the best welder for car panels requires determining the amperage correctly. Different sorts of activities require different amperage ratings. It’d need more current if you’re welding thicker metals, while the thin metal counterparts require comparatively lesser current output. One rule of thumb you can use is, getting 1 amp per 0.001″ of metal thickness. So depending on your auto body thickness, you can choose the correct amperage. Car panels usually require a minimum of 20 to a maximum of 70 amp power.
An essential feature which you should focus on is oxidation resistance. Oxidation is one of the most feared phenomena in welding, which can deform the area and make it look worse. That’s why it’s essential to find welding machines that come with highly-equipped oxidation-resistant technologies.
Welding is no easy stuff to work on. As you’re dealing with a heavy surge of electricity on the power supply, safety can indeed be a concern. That’s why it’s only pertinent to get devices that come with adequate safety measures.
Fanned air vents present in a welding machine would reduce the possibilities of overheating and other related issues that may result due to heating.
Similarly, high-temperature signals and overload indications can also alert the users of any potential hazards to take precautions beforehand.
So, try getting a machine that comes with the above-mentioned safety parameters involved.
Durability is another common aspect being discussing while getting a quality welder. If you’re looking for a durable welder, getting the one that has been constructed with a rugged stainless steel material would be plausible. Stainless steel is primarily rust-resistant and pretty strong on the surface, which should suit the intense work atmosphere of the welders.
Finally, portability is another critical consideration while you’re looking forward to getting the best welders for auto body. Lightweight welders with a large, comfortable handle set up should offer better portability for working around the car.
On top of that, some welders may come with wheeled carriers so you can quickly push them to the desired location during or after work.
Well, these are some of the critical considerations you must look at before making a decision.
What is the best type of welder for auto bodywork?
Usually, Mig welders are known to be the best welder for auto bodywork.
What Is The Best Welder For Car Restoration?
The best welder for car restoration is the one that comes with the correct amperage, lots of adjustments, enhanced portability, and dependable safety features.
Is MIG welding better than flux core?
Flux cored welding is more efficient. It uses less energy to weld steel thicker metals which isn't possible with Mig.
What is the most common form of welding
Shielded Metal Arc Welder for SMAW is the most common form of welding you may see out there. They're usually used for construction works, pipelines and repairing heavy machinery.
We are the final portion of our long guide. We presented you with some of the highly top-grade welder options in the welding industry that can help you with automotive welding throughout the discussion. On top of that, we also focused on their critical benefits while highlighting some of their flaws and offering an in-depth understanding of each item!
We’ve also demonstrated critical information on the related subject matters to enlarge the readers’ knowledge base to give them the required intellectual capability to pick the right welder.
Auto body welding works areas the price of automobiles are set to rise in the coming years. So, what are you waiting for? Get the best welder for auto body work right now and turn yourself into a skilled professional welder tomorrow!